Sunday, January 18, 2009

Song of the Day



OMD's Southern takes bits of Marin Luther King's speeches and places them against an energetic musical backdrop. Even with the horns blaring and the drums pounding, you lose interest in the music and start focusing on the words. Words of a dreamer. Words to make you stop and think. Words for the times.

I remember that Monday morning
When I was subpoenaed to be in court

Many things ran through my mind
I started thinking about the people
All day long, trying to think of something to say to the people

Are you ready for the question?
All in favor, let it be known by standing on you feet

I want young men and young women, who are not alive today
But who will come into this world, with new privileges
And new opportunities
I want them to know and see that these new privileges and opportunities
Did not come without somebody suffering and sacrificing for

Freedom is never given to anybody

Like anybody
I would like to live a long life
Longevity has it's place
But I'm not concerned about that now
I just want to do god' will
And he has allowed me to go up to the mountain
And I've looked over
And I've seen the promise land
I may not get there with you
But I want you to know tonight
That we as a people
Will get to the promise land
So I'm happy tonight, I'm not worried about anything
I'm not fearing any man
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord

Glory hallelujah, glory hallelujah
Glory hallelujah, glory hallelujah
His truth is marching on

Martin Luther King, Jr. was born on January 15, 1929 and assassinated on April 4,1968. He was the recipient of the 1964 Nobel Peace Prize.

Robert Kennedy said at his rally in Indianapolis on that fateful day of April 4, 1968:

"My favorite poem, my — my favorite poet was Aeschylus, and he once wrote:

Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget
falls drop by drop upon the heart,
until, in our own despair,
against our will,
comes wisdom
through the awful grace of God.

"What we need in the United States is not division; what we need in the United States is not hatred; what we need in the United States is not violence and lawlessness, but is love, and wisdom, and compassion toward one another, and a feeling of justice toward those who still suffer within our country, whether they be white or whether they be black."

blog comments powered by Disqus